Annual PC Service
When you first bought your computer, it was probasbly pretty fast and like a breath of fresh air to use. However, we know that computers slow down over time. Some of this slow down is inevitable due to age but a lot of it can be rectified. When done regularly, this means that your computer will be as fast as it can be for as long as it can be – the alternative is that it just gets slow and stays that way until you get fed up and you decide to replace it.
So what do we do when we’re servcing a PC. It’s a big list, but here’s an overview.
- Windows updates checked for problems (faulty ones can result in an endless loop of download an reinstallation which can slow down both general computer speed and internet speed).
- Specific Windows notifications are turned off to stop them annoying you and also to stop you from being unintentionally drawn into using features that will be of no benefit to you.
- Unwanted auto-starting programs and services are turned off (this can really help reduce both the computer start time and the backgroun load on the computer while you are using it).
- Unwanted programs and apps are uninstalled to further reduce background services and free up drive space.
- Browsers are checked to make sure they are up-to-date to mitigate security risks and to turn off web-page notifications to help stop pop-up messages occurring all the time.
- Security risks like Java and Flash are removed or updates where appropriate.
- Security software is checked to make sure it is working and up-to-date.
- The System Log is checked to make sure no hardware errors are occurring which could be a warning of impending failure and potential data loss.
- Windows System files are checked for damage and repaired where necessary (they are easily damaged if the computer loses power, an update installs incorrectly or if the computer has crashed for any reason).
We recommend that you have this done once a year. The earlier in your PC’s life you start having this done, the higher the level of performance that can be maintained. However, even old computers that have never had any maintenance done on them can usually get a new lease of life after a service.
If you’d like to freshen up your PC, make a booking now!